Enrolment, Payment, Cancellations and Refunds
General Terms and Conditions
- Opening days: The school is open from Monday to Thursday from 8.30 am to 7.30 pm, Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.
- The maximum number of students in a class is ten.
- All students are required to present their passports on their first day and the school will retain a copy.
- A student agrees on signing the registration form that Britannia English Academy keeps their personal records on its computerised systems.
- All new students are required to take a level test prior to the booking of the course. Students cannot choose the level at which they want to study as this will be determined by the manager of the School.
- A student’s registration and enrolment for courses will serve as a binding agreement to follow the course to completion and to pay the full fees. The application form must be signed to indicate the student’s agreement to abide by the terms and conditions of enrolment at Britannia English Academy.
- Should any circumstances change it is the student’s responsibility to keep Britannia English Academy informed of all changes, in particular, of any changes of home address in the UK, as well as in their home country, changes to emergency telephone numbers and contact names and change of email address.
- Students may be unable to enrol on their first day if they do not have their passport as proof of their identity.
- Course fees do not include course books, materials, travel expenses, social events where fees are charged or personal and health insurance.
- Course fees are subject to change with no prior notice.
- A non-refundable registration fee of £45 is required before starting the course.
- Payment of all course fees must be received 4 weeks before the start date of the course.
- The cost of the books needed for courses is £35 per book.
- Another book must be purchased when changing levels or course.
- Second-hand books are subject to availability at £20.
- Details of the class times can be found in the reception or on the website. Classes start at 9 am and finish at 19.25 pm Monday to Thursday, Friday from 9am to 4.20pm.
- Every lesson lasts 50 min.
- Students must inform the school if they are not going to attend and after two unexplained absences, the school will contact them. If this is ignored, they will lose their place on the course to other waiting students.
- Students taking an examination course will also be required to take a written test and/or have a School Manager’s approval and will not be permitted onto the course if they are not at the required level.
- Complaints about the School’s courses or services should be made immediately as complaints made via email at [email protected] after the course has finished will not be accepted.
- Britannia English Academy reserves the right to merge any class where there is insufficient demand or any other justifiable reason to do so.
- Students are encouraged to arrive for lessons on time. Late entry to the class is at the discretion of the teacher who may refuse entry to any student who is more than ten minutes late or is habitually late.
- Group classes cannot be converted into private classes once the course is started.
- No refund can be made to students once the course has started and no transfer of courses in whole or in part can be made. Fees are non-refundable in the case of abandonment of a course. Our school does not permit the transfer of courses from one student to another.
- Cancellation of one-to-one classes: if a student wants to move or cancel a lesson, they need to notify the school a minimum of 24 hours in advance. If a student fails to do so, the school will not be able to reschedule the class to another day or refund the fee.
- Minimum age of enrolment is 7.
- All students must book holidays for at least one week in advance. The maximum authorised holiday permitted is dependent on the length of the course you are studying and will be determined by Britannia English Academy. Students are not obliged to take holidays, but holidays taken will affect their end date of the course.
- Students at the School all interact and study together and are always required to treat all other students and staff with respect. Any student whose behaviour causes inconvenience, offence or distress to other students or staff will be excluded from lessons. Persistent offenders or those involved in isolated serious offences will be expelled from Britannia English Academy and their course cancelled with immediate effect. No refund of course fees will be made, and the school’s decision is final.
- Letters and certificates will not be issued to students who have not paid, attended or reached the levels necessary for the documents they want. In general, a student must attend at least 80% of their course to get a leaving certificate or an academic report. Students requiring signed documents must request them at least five working days before.
- It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that examination fees are paid on time. These external fees must be paid where the examination takes place. Britannia will inform students where and when to pay, as well as exam dates.
- Students are advised that the School, its employees and its representatives accept no liability for personal injury and / or loss of / damage to personal property on the Schools premises, whether by fire, burglary, theft or otherwise. This condition also applies to public and private places when students are on School trips or excursions.
- Students are responsible for behaving in a safe and appropriate manner in all Britannia social activities. Britannia English Academy will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of possessions or injuries suffered during these activities.
- Online group lessons: standard cancellation terms apply. Students cannot recover missed classes unless they inform the school at least 24 hours in advance. Students willing to book holidays will be requested 1 week notice about planned absence. In case of illness, the classes cannot be recovered unless the absence is reported in a timely manner.
- The school will be closed for the Christmas period. Notice will be given to students of the exact dates in December.
- Please note that the school is allowed to increase the number of students per class during peak times (June, July and August) up to 12 students per class (adults).
- The School is not responsible for the safekeeping or delivery of any fax, post, etc. sent to the students at the Schools addresses.
- The School is not responsible for the safekeeping of exam results or certificates.
- Students must understand that if they are not at the recommended level of English for a particular course or particular stage of the course they may be asked to stay on the same level until they are ready to move up. Students may also be asked to repeat a level if they have low attendance.
- Please note that you are making an international transfer, you will be requested to make the payment in GBP and in full. Any outstanding amounts, due to international bank transfer or exchange currency fee, are to be completed by the student.
- If you are seeking accommodation, you must also pay a non-refundable accommodation booking fee of £45.
- Any student whose behaviour causes inconvenience, offence or distress to other students or school staff, will be excluded from lessons. Persistent offenders will be expelled from BEA and their course cancelled. No refund of course fees will be made.
- If a student is dismissed for misconduct, no refund will be given from the school and he/she will lose their place in their class.
- Britannia English Academy is unable to accept cheques as a method of payment.
- In the event of a student being unable to attend due to an appointment with a doctor or official organisation, lessons can be recovered at another time if proof is shown and upon 24-hour notice.
- Payments can be made by cash, UK debit card, Non-UK debit card (3% surcharge), credit card (3% surcharge), bank transfer or by phone (1% surcharge), AMEX (4% surcharge).
- If the visa is refused we will require a letter from BEA confirming the refusal and we will refund all payments minus £245 administration fee. If a student booked accommodation we will refund all payments minus £290 administration fee.
- The school will not be liable to bear the bank charges while remitting the funds back to the student.
COURSE CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY
The exceptions may be:
Refunds for Courses: If the course has started: We will not refund any money under any circumstances except for:
(i) When the student’s personal circumstances mean that a refund of course fees is appropriate, for example, if someone in a student’s family dies and they want to return home early for the funeral. However, refunds of this kind are at the complete discretion of the management of the Britannia English Academy and may be refused for any reason. In addition, we may ask to see certain documents to prove the truth of any claims (A death certificate, for example).
(ii) If the course originally paid for is cancelled and an alternative course at a different time cannot be offered
COURSE REFUND POLICY (if the course has not started)
Refunds may take up to 30 days to process once notice of cancellation has been given. Please note that refunds may take longer depending on the reason given and documents available to assess the request. Refunds made by bank transfer to a non-UK bank account, will have a fixed charge of £30.
- less than 4 weeks in advance before starting date of the course: 0% refund
- less than 6 weeks in advance before starting date of the course: 50% refund minus cancellation fee £100 (+£45 enrollment fee)
- 6 weeks (or more) in advance before starting date of the course: 100% refund minus cancellation fee £100 (+£45 enrollment fee)
- No refunds will be given if a student withdraws their application after we have sent a visa letter.
- No refunds will be given if a student decides to study with another school after we have sent a visa letter.
VISA REJECTION REFUND.
In the case where your Short Term Study Visa OR Standard Visitor Visa application has been rejected, you will need to provide evidence of this refusal before a refund can be considered. Without the BEA refusal letter no refund will be considered.
- We can refund course fees by sending us clear scanned copies of the rejection letter in full, all documents from British immigration and the original letter of enrolment to [email protected] and by post to our school address 12 Charlotte Street, Manchester M1 4FL).
- All associated administration fees will not be refunded. (£200 visa administration fee, £45 course registration fee, £45 accommodation booking fee and international transfer bank charges £30).
- If we discover any fraudulent methods have taken place to obtain documents from BEA to apply for a visa, the UK Border Agency will be informed. Students will be expelled from the course and no refunds will be given.
- Any refund that is granted will only be for the course fees. Registration fees are nonrefundable.
- If a student is asked to leave the UK or is expelled from a course, no refund will not be given.
- Accommodation can only be booked for students of BEA and where course fees have been received. Accommodation will only be reserved on receipt of a fully completed application form and full payment.
- The minimum period of stay is two weeks. However, if your course is less than two weeks, we can offer accommodation for 1 week.
- When extending accommodation students must pay the school, not the host. If the student pays the host directly, they break BEA Terms and Conditions and their course may result in suspension.
- BEA reserves the right to cancel or change arrangements without prior notice.
- Students are liable for any damage they cause to the host family’s property.
- Accommodation services will only be provided for students who have enrolled on a full-time course of a minimum of 20 lessons per week at the School.
- If a student is removed from his/her homestay accommodation as a result of bad behaviour no refund will be given.
- You may not bring visitors back to your home without the consent of the host.
- Students are expected to respect and abide by the host family’s reasonable schedule and house rules. Failure to do so may result in the student being removed from the accommodation.
- A non-refundable accommodation booking fee of £45 is required before starting the course.
- The cost of the telephone is not included in your accommodation fee.
- Those who do not request airport pickup will need to inform the School of their arrival time at the home-stay.
- You are not allowed to smoke in the house without the consent of your host
- Home-stay accommodation is not the same as hotel accommodation and therefore does not offer the same services.
- Students must always ask the host family’s permission before giving the homestay address to receive a post, in particular for bank letters.
- Late check-in (after 10 pm): £40 fee will be applied.
CHANGE OF ACCOMMODATION
- When extending the accommodation, the students will be requested to give 2 weeks’ notice. If the students fail to do so, BEA reserves the right to charge an accommodation booking extension fee of £50. Otherwise, the student may not be able to stay in the same accommodation.
- The student will not be charged the £50 change of accommodation fee if there is a serious problem for example, if there is a temporary problem with the heating or hot water or broken bedroom furniture. Where possible BEA will endeavour to resolve the issue with the host. If it cannot be resolved, BEA will find alternative accommodation at no cost.
- In neither circumstances will the student be refunded the cost of the accommodation.
ACCOMMODATION REFUND POLICY (if the course has not started)
Cancellation of bookings already made:
- 6 weeks (or more) in advance before check in date: 90% refund minus booking fee (£45) and minus cancellation fee £100
- less than 6 weeks in advance before check in date: 50% refund minus booking fee (£45) and minus cancellation fee £100
- less than 4 weeks in advance before check in date: 0 % refund
LATE ARRIVAL/EARLY DEPARTURE/POSTPONING THE BOOKING DATE
- No refund if the student leaves residential accommodation early
- In case the student chooses homestay, the school will request 2 weeks notice
- The arrival date can be postponed (changed to a later date) if the school is informed at least 10 days (10x 24 hours) before the start date.
- One week’s accommodation fee will be charged if the school is given less than 10 day’s notice of a change in arrival date.
INFORMATION ABOUT STUDENT HALLS
- Do check to make sure all cooking equipment (e.g. gas cooker) is turned off after use. Clean the cooking equipment (gas cooker, microwave) after use.
- Clean the toilet, washing basin and bath after use.
- Turn off all the lights before leaving the room.
- Keep the post on the shelf at the entrance.
- Recycle and dispose of rubbish properly: separate general waste, paper waste, bottles/tins/cans and food waste from each other.
- Follow the rules: no overnight guests, no pets, no shouting or disturbing neighbours.
- Where applicable pay the deposit of £250. The student halls will return the deposit at the end of the student’s stay if there is no damage or need for excessive cleaning. Cost of repairing damage or excessive cleaning will be paid from the deposit.
BEA is not liable for failure to perform its obligations if such failure is a result of Acts of God (including fire, flood, earthquake, storm, hurricane or other natural disaster), war, invasion, act of foreign enemies, hostilities (regardless of whether war is declared), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, military or usurped power or confiscation, terrorist activities, nationalisation, government sanction, blockage, embargo, labor dispute, strike, lockout or interruption or failure of electricity or telephone service. Refunds are not made in such cases.
PHOTOGRAPHS AND FILMING
Students may from time to time be photographed and recorded moving images, the photographs and videos of which may be used in the School’s promotional / publicity material. The School reserves the right to all photographs which may be used in any way the School sees appropriate in promoting itself. The copyright to all photographs shall belong to the School.
It is the policy of the School not to divulge any personal details of students to a third party, other than to the appropriate authorities, without the student’s prior consent.
We have CCTV operating in the school.
These Terms are governed by the law of England and are subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of England.
- Smoking (including electronic cigarettes) is not permitted anywhere in Britannia.
- Mobile phones must be switched off during lessons.
- Consuming food and hot drinks in classrooms are not allowed.
- Students must arrive on time for lessons, if more than 10 minutes late you must wait until the start of the second half of the lesson to enter.
- English is the only language to be used in the school
Abusive behaviour directed towards students or staff is not tolerated at Britannia English Academy.
Abusive behaviour covers:
The use of foul language towards any other individual
The use of racist language
The use of homophobic language
Physical aggression or the striking of any other individual
Inappropriate, invasive or unwanted physical attention
The deliberate abuse of health and safety procedures
Any abusive behaviour observed by staff or reported by students to staff must be referred to the Academic Manager in writing. At the discretion of the Academic Manager, any student carrying out any of the above behaviours may have their studies terminated with no refund given. No student who abuses any member of staff or another student in the ways described above will remain in our school.
Airport Transfer Conditions
You must provide accurate arrival information, including the following:
Airport you are arriving at
Airport you are coming from
It is the student’s responsibility to inform the school of accurate arrival details. If incorrect details are supplied, Britannia English Academy will not refund charges should the student not be met.
Upon joining the school and completing their registration, students will be in acceptance of all the terms and conditions listed above. Britannia English Academy usually only arranges transport from Manchester airport, exceptionally we may be able to arrange transport from other airports (Liverpool or Leeds).